Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Caddyshack [Blu-ray]


A welcome HD upgrade
A welcome HD upgrade to the classic comedy. I don't think I need to go into the plot for Caddyshack and as such I'll review the Blu-ray disc itself. The new Blu-ray has a good HD transfer, it's not the cleanest print but I don't think it's going to get any better. The sound has also been remastered to a DTS Master Audio 5.1 lossless track which is nice and expands the sound stage from the previous mono only offerings. Although strangely the original mono track is missing.

The extras are included are the Theatrical Trailer (480i) and "Caddyshack: The 19th Hole" (480i) is ported over from the previous 20th Anniversary DVD. But the real highlight is "Bio - Caddyshack: The Inside Story" (HD 1080i), this new documentary is very informative and goes for over 80mins.

Overall an HD excellent upgrade over the older 20th Anniversary DVD.
Caddyshack = Comedy Classic.....But we need more extras!
Hey, if you're reading this, you probably already know how hilarious Caddyshack is. I've gotta say I was disappointed when I purchased the 20th Anniversary DVD and it was the same thing as the 19th Anniversary VHS! I've never had the pleasure of seeing the TV version of this film, which from what I've read on other posts, has a lot of deleted footage. Why wasn't this footage included in the 20th DVD? In the trailer alone there's a bunch of scenes that aren't included in the film. How about including them? The bottom line is, while the film is great, we're starving for ALL the extra footage! I feel like I'm Spaulding and Warner Brothers is Judge Smails. "I want a hamburger, no...a cheeseburger, I want a hot dog, I want potato chips" -- "You'll get nothing and like it!" Give us more!
One of the Funniest Comedies of All Time!
Y'know, I get rather disgusted when I read reviews of movies like Caddyshack which describe it as "no-brainer" and "low-brow" (see the Amazon.com review, for example). The fact is that many so-called critics really don't have a clue when it comes to comedy movies of this type. Disrespect and irreverence for the establishment has been a staple of comedy movies for years. Are the only good comedies the light-hearted drivel that the likes of Grant and Hepburn made in the 30's? Of course not!

Caddyshack features fine performances from Bill Murray, Rodney Dangerfield, Chevy Chase, Ted Knight, and of course, the gopher. This motion picture is replete with sight gags and one-liners that to this day are repeated by afficianados of clever satire.

You don't have to be a lowbrow to like this movie, and just because you think it's funny doesn't mean there's something wrong with you. Caddyshack and Animal House withstand the test of time as two of the...
Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment