Monday, December 2, 2013

Ghostbusters [Blu-ray]


Is it worth the Blu-ray version of it?
And the answer is absolutely YES!

I won't get caught in the main synopsis of the movie, I'm guessing you know the story and the actors. If not you should be asking your self where have you been the last twenty years or so...now lets get into it!

Video Quality on this release is in full 1080p using the MPEG-4 codec on a BD-50 (50 gigabyte dual-layered Blu-ray Disc). This is a great catalog release. It is so refreshing to see a studio not attempt tweaking the original image with digital noise reduction and edge enhancement. This is a faithful to the source transfer. Clarity and resolution is where this transfer shines, all the little signs, switches, knobs and so forth are all clearly defined displaying an excellent depth of field. Colors are nicely saturated and accurate displaying good natural hues.

As for the Bonus Materials: these are presented in Standard Definition 480i and High Definition 1080i with Dolby Digital 2.0 sound.

* BD-Live -...
Good DVD and a better story.
I received the DVD a few days earlier than expected, and in an unexpected way.

There was a knock on the door, it was maybe 2 in the morning. I don't really remember. I slowly got out of bed and peeked through the doorhole to see who it could possibly be.

It was Bill effing Murray. Dressed up as a ghostbuster. When I opened the door, he clicked a remote to turn on a stereo boombox he had with him. Ghostbusters theme blaring, he starts dancing. 70's disco style.

After "WHO YOU GONNA CALL," he held the DVD case up to my face and paused the song. I was silent, he lowered the case and put it in my face again.

"Ghostbusters?" I asked.

He started the music again, put the dvd down on my doormat, took the boombox and danced away.

I opened up the DVD case when I got back inside, and on the INSIDE of the SHRINK WRAPPED DVD CASE, I kid you not there was a note that read

"No one will ever believe you. No one buys DVDs...
mastered in 4k - is it worth it?
I already have the 25th anniversary blu-ray edition of this movie, but I was wondering if the 4k would really upgrade the video quality which is not that great on the earlier edition, and this newer edition (at $14.99) was cheap enough to experiment with. I do not have any of the very expensive 4k equipment but the 4k is advertised that it will improve a regular blu-ray. Side by side with the earlier blu-ray version, I would say that there is a noticeable upgrade in the foreground of the scene and some shots come out very clear. It is enough of an improvement that I am keeping this one, but don't get rid of your earlier editions because this one does not have any features. The 25th anniversary blu has all the original dvd features plus some forgetable new features such as info on the Ghostbusters video game. So I am keeping them both. Amazon has the unfortunate habit of using all 555 reviews which go back to the dvd version which I find very confusing when I am trying to decide if an...
Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment