Thursday, December 12, 2013

Nashville (Criterion Collection) BLU-RAY/DVD DUAL FORMAT EDITION


Criterion Takes On Altman's Seminal Masterwork: Special Features Announced
Of all the Criterion announcements this year, the arrival of Robert Altman's "Nashville" is the one that has excited me the most. I've owned the film on a clunky two cassette VHS format and on a rather unimpressive DVD presentation. One of the seminal films of the seventies, this is an important work that has demanded a more worthy distribution. When I saw that Criterion had picked up the title, I rushed over here to see what features would be included on the release. Alas, there was nothing yet listed. I thought that other "Nashville" enthusiasts might also be chomping at the bit in anticipation, so I thought I'd give a shout-out to the announced pre-release features. This is for informational purposes only, I have not previewed this edition. I can say with confidence, however, that any restoration can't help but be a noticeable improvement over the poor quality discs currently on the market.

The "Nashville" release will be in a Blu-ray/DVD Combo pack having one...
Robert Altman is a 'genius'
As have others, I too am excited beyond belief that Criterion is honoring NASHVILLE to be part of its series. I will never forget when I first saw the film in New York City. I was stunned by it and stood in line a second and third time. It became one of the most astonishing metaphors of our political climate at the time. The film, created in Altman's improvisational style, is flooded with truthful work: Lily Tomlin, Keith Carradine, Ronee Blakley, Henry Gibson, Shelley Duvall, Geraldine Chaplin, Karen Black, Ned Beatty, and the list goes on --- all contributed enormously to the mosaic. With echoes of the Kennedy assassination, the film marches on as a panorama of the sixties. The film almost ridicules Nashville and I can understand why the country capital was not celebrating its perspective The plot occurs in five days with intertwining story lines and the Grand Ole Opry as a backdrop. The finale is a political rally for one Hal Philip Walker, a radical conservative, a kind of Ted...

Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment