Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc I - The Egg of the King [Blu-ray]


Amazing Reboot
I'm going to start this review with a bit of backstory. This may be a long read but this is Berserk so I'm going to take my time and get this right.

The original Berserk anime is infamous for its massive cliffhanger ending. I was never into manga until I watched Berserk, then I simply HAD to read the manga, because I literally could not live with not knowing what happened next. The fact that Berserk is one of the most well drawn and well written (if poorly updated) manga series ever made.

For years the fans clamored for season 2, even after it became clear that it wasn't going to happen there were still some hold outs, but eventually even they died out as well. Then the past few years we have started to see a lot of old uncompleted anime series get reboots. Some like Ultimate Hellsing were just what the fans were waiting for, others like Inuyasha: Final Act were rushed and kind of disappointing. But if any anime deserved a reboot, it was Berserk. And now here it...
In this world, is the destiny of mankind controlled by some transcendental entity or law?
I have to admit I was just a tad disappointed with The Egg of The King; mostly due to how the animation could sometimes make it look like you're watching someone play a video game instead of the first part of an animated dark Byronic Fantasy epic. The story is good (if massively condensed) but since this is trying to adapt so much into about an hour and a half-ish some of the characters can come off as one dimensional. If you've read the manga or seen the old tv series (and if you like the old shoes dub you'll be pleased to know they bought back the voices of Guts, Griffith, and Casca) you'll have an easier time understanding what's going on. Be all that as it may I still suggest buying this just so we can (hopefully) FINALLY move past The Golden Age in animated form someday.
For 2 hours-- Pretty fantastic!
I am a huge Berserk fan, so going into this I was pretty skeptical.
In the end, I think this is a great film adaptation of the chapters it covers.
There are some minor bits that are cut from the original anime that may help build a little more of an emotional connection to certain characters, but when you have to condense these chapters down into 2 hours segments - cuts have to be made.
Fantastic job! I hope that WB funds them to keep producing more than the 1st three (which are really just an intro in my opinion.)
Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment