Monday, November 25, 2013

Yu Yu Hakusho: Season Three (Classic) [Blu-ray]


Fantastic. Brings back great nostalgia.
I hadn't watched Yu Yu Hakusho in several years until I came across Funimation's release of the seasons on blu ray. I remember the series as a fun ride, though I didn't recall many specifics of the plot. I ended up purchasing the first 3 sets on blu ray. There was a pleasant sense of familiarity as I watched the sets. I can say with definite certainty that I will also purchase the last set as well.

As for this specific set, I believe it is my favorite of the 3 thus far. The action is intense from the very beginning as the set starts off in the beginning of the final round of the Dark Tournament. The fights are very exciting/over the top and take up the whole first disc of the set. The only negative I have is that I feel the final fight with Toguro draggs out a bit too long, but it is still epic an battle nonetheless. The disc wraps up with a fitting end to the arc. As for the rest of the episodes, they center around the Black Saga arc. Going into these episodes...
Excellent remaster
I already own a ten-year-old set of the Dark Tournament DVDs, and I'm looking to finally complete my collection, so I bought this to compare the two and see if the Blu-Ray version was worth the cost. It is! I'm really picky about video quality, and I was expecting a low-effort upscale job, but it turned out to be better than I could have hoped for such an old series. The colors and lines are vibrant and clear, and the artifacts that bothered me so much on the old DVDs have been smoothed away. They even relaid the text on the titles so it would be legible at 1080p. YYH was my first "real" anime, and it warms my withered, jaded heart to see it get such a loving remaster.

I remember when Suncoast tried to charge $25 for a four-episode disc. Now we can get the whole series in much better quality for $100. Definitely worth it.
A Great Season as well
For those who got the Season 2 set you'll have to get this to finish dark tournament anyway. But the season that follows is great as well, you'll see changes in the soundtracks and I think the show is a little more mature in this part of the series.
Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment