Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Shakugan no Shana: Season Three, Part 2 (Blu-ray/DVD Combo)


For Better Or Worse, Shana and Yuji Face Their Desinty.
The final battle that began at the beginning of season 3 continues. The fight has spilled over into the human world, and many lives are lost. Yuji's betrayal has shocked everyone, and left the Flame haze army at a major disadvantage. He clearly has a goal in mind. But being the emotionally clueless guy that he is, fails to make his intentions clear to Shana. He revels that he wants to create a replica of his city on the void. This will serve as the permanent home for the denizens. Shana does not accept this, and the 2 continue to fight to the death. They are not alone. Many others are involved. Some that have become dear friends and some that neither of them know. But many of them are lost along the way. In the end, will Yuji and Shana be together, or will they be torn apart? Can Yuji forgive himself for perpetrating this terrible war upon the world, and can Shana stop him? All the questions we have had up to now will be answered. For better or worse, this is the end.

I was...
Okay, let's do this
I had no plans to write this review because I'm pretty sure my opinion is going to get torn to shreds. However, someone said they liked my view on the second season, and as we all know, we must cave to random strangers on the internet. So, this one's for you, Adam. :-)

Reader, ye be warned here. Spoilers are in this review. I will do my best to limit them and try to keep major ones out of this review, but in order to talk about the first part of the season properly, I must include some details. I apologize.

Season 3 starts off immediately where season 2 finished. And I mean IMMEDIATELY. Yuji is still walking in the snow and still appears before Shana. Shana gets super excited that Yuji has chosen her, runs into his arms, they kiss, and together set out to finally shut down Ball Masque, the group that's responsible for almost killing Yuji and Shana on multiple occasions.
No, wait. That's not what happens. Instead, Yuji looks at Shana, and then wanders off...
Sigh...
Okay, if I was afraid my part one review for season 3 was going to get destroyed, I am utterly dreading this review. Still, I must press on. I hope die hard fans of the show can forgive me...

So, Shakugan no Shana is over. This is the end of the line. It was a fun journey, traveling along with these characters and watching their adventures. The first season was a great hook and took a nice spin on some rather cliche anime and manga tropes. Season 2 stumbled a bit in part one, focusing almost solely on girls' jealousy and love, but part two came back swinging with (to me at least) one of the best anime fights ever--the one against Sabrac. Season 3 part one was a bit difficult to get through whenever Yuji started talking, but the war between the Flame Hazes and Denizens more than made up for it. Now, we finally see how it all ends...
Wait, seriously? That's how it's going to end? Are...are you kidding me? Just...ugh.

Let me back up. Please note, there are...
Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment