Sunday, November 10, 2013

Michiko & Hatchin: Complete Series, Part 1 [Blu-ray]


How far will you go for love?
Michiko to Hatchin is about a Afro-Latina woman named Michiko who escapes prison to search for both her lover and his daughter, Hana, and together they embark on an adventure of mischief, broken bonds, and love.

I loved Michiko to Hatchin when it first came out in 2008 and was anxiously awaiting for it to be picked up and over 3 years later it finally has! Now, let me start off by saying that this Anime is both a hidden gem and a rusted pearl.

It's made by the same people who created Cowboy Bebop! It's known for its charm, ethnic characters, and violence.
FUNimation picked it up, and though I'm grateful since they have a habit of creating beautiful box sets and awesome releases...I got a bone to pick. Rant begin/ While the sub is great, in the dub I'm disappointed with Michiko's voice. They did give some of the other Ethnic character's African American voice actors and that did them justice but I have to admit the flaw I found in FUNimation's dubbing was...
Anime, the way it's supposed to be
It's been a long time since I've been this excited over an anime. M&H has all the reckless feel of "Samurai Champloo", with the intense, character-driven storytelling style of "Cowboy Beebop". Doesn't hurt that the artwork, characters AND backgrounds, are superb.
Parts 1 & 2 make for a continuous narrative of vingettes, so you'll want to watch all four discs to get the complete story.
Sit back and enjoy
Quality of the Blu-ray is great, haven't come across any bugs or glitches. Gives you the option of watching it in either Japanese or English with or without subtitles. So for those people who are totally against dubbed anime you can watch it the way you want. I usually prefer dubbed anime but if the subbed anime voice acting is more suitable than I have no problem watching that.

The only dislike I have about this is some of the English voice acting, which is just an opinion. I really dislike Michiko's English voice, its not the type of voice I imagined she'd have in English and it just doesn't suit her "in my opinion". I wish she had more of a sexy/bold attitude type of voice as for Hatchin her voice is fine, I also wish they got a little more creative with the overall voice acting like adding Spanish/Portuguese accents and more.

As for the debate on Michiko's race (not ethnicity), no one is 100% positive what her race is. Brazil is a very diverse place with many...
Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment