Thursday, November 21, 2013

Yu Yu Hakusho: Season One [Blu-ray]


Not just blu-ray. Remastered frame by frame.
Update: Got it. Every bit as awesome as I expected and then some. I've already pre-ordered the next 2 seasons.

As of this writing, this has yet to be released. However I got FMA: Brotherhood part 4 early from rightstuf and saw in the trailers, Yu yu hakusho. I was thinking to myself, why are they advertising an old show on this new release? I knew that they had released the box sets a year or so ago, but w/e, so I clicked it and figured it was another re-release. I was instantly shocked by the picture quality! Even if it was blu-ray, no way yyh could look this good just by being upscaled. The trailer explained that it was a frame by frame remaster.
If you don't already own yyh in some form, trust me, it looks beautiful, so go with this. Also, it is in full frame, so don't worry it won't be like those orange box releases of DBZ.
Great Series, Great High-Def Remaster
Yu Yu Hakusho is one of my favorite, if not all time favorite, anime. YYH is the story of Yusuke Urameshi, a 14-year old delinquent who loves to skip school and pick fights. In a split-second decision, he sacrifices himself to save a boy's life. In a twist of fate, he is given a second chance at life. A well animated and extremely well written series full of action and drama, it's a series that I've always held close to my heart. Now let's get to the Blu-Ray remaster. To put it simply: It's gorgeous! Since older animation was filmed on high-resolution film, shows like YYH look fantastic in 1080p, especially with a frame-by-frame remaster. To see it in such pristine clarity is awesome. This season one release has 28 episodes on 3 discs, with English audio in 5.1 and 2.0 in Japanese. For extras you get the textless opening and ending songs; there are also some trailers, so nothing special. To people who already own the series on DVD, I would still recommend this Blu-Ray release because...
One of the greatest Anime Series' of all time gets a stellar Blu-ray release!
This series has a special place in my heart. When I first saw it on Adult Swim all those years ago, I loved it from jump street. So much so that I was suckered into accidentally buying a horrid Chinese bootleg with absolutely terrible quality just to see how it ended before the US release finished its run.
I wizened up shortly thereafter and got myself the whole series on DVD in the 8 volume 2nd release (the "First Battles", "Second Wind", "Third Strike" Boxes) and was finally content that my collecting was over. Barring potential FUNimation releases of the movies in the future, I thought I had the best there was.

I was wrong.

Studio Peirrot, the Japanese company who produced Yu Yu Hakusho back in the early 90s went back and did a gorgeous frame-by-frame remastering job, going back to the original film prints and restoring the series in such pristine condition. The art was crisp, the colors were brilliantly restored, the audio brought into TrueHD 2.0...
Click to Editorial Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment